Buying or Selling a Home/Changed my mind about selling

My husband and I are divorcing and agreed to sell our house. We signed a contract for 3months with a realtor, and the house didn't sell and the 3 months were up. We recently extended the contract for one and a half more months with her. I now have decided I want to keep the house and will be giving my husband a sum of money and he will sign the house over to me. first question is whether we should tell the realtor now and take the house off the market. I have heard that she might be entitled to her commission if we do this. Or should we not tell her and keep the house in the market til the contract expires? In this case can she still get her commission when I buy my husband out? If we wait and keep the house on the market, do we have to accept an offer if it is full price? The potential commission is about 45000 so this is a huge worry for me.
Thanks for your advice.

Hi Nancy,

I do not sell in Maryland, so your laws and contracts could very well be quite different from Caifornia.... As an ethical realtor, if you tell her she should release you from the contract and hope to keep you in her data base, that someday you may sell and would ofcourse call her to list and sell the house... if you fell she will not release the contract, then you may wish to speak (start with your divorce attorney - may cost less) and see if this is considered a 'sale' or simply what it is a 'transfer of title'... your husband can 'quit claim' the property to you and you can always compensate him in the divorce with 'x' dollars as a settlement.. but do youself a favor and spend a couple buck and seek legal advise if the realtor is not accodomating with you in your request..  

Buying or Selling a Home

Connie Wildasinn-Broker,GRI,CPRES,RealtorŪ

Broker,CPRES,GRI,RealtorŪ, Investor since 1979. Buying or Selling Residential and Income/Investment Properties, How to understand the process, how to negotiate through the transaction, What to Look for - But more importantly 'What to lookout for!', How to tell if the time is right - or hold on and wait. Why "Not to listen to your friends and even your family members", Who really has your best interest at heart?. Understand why any market is a good market and how to spot a good investment for you! If you are looking in California.. check out my website and if you need assistance in a neighborhood I don't service, I will locate a local agent to that area who actually knows their profession and can assist you in your needs!

4th generation Realtor in the real estate business, I have helped for over 2 decades clients buy and sell, I am the owner of a local brokerage in the Los Angeles /Long Beach area, and have been a top producing agent in the area since I became licensed. Working through a deal is different to every client, no two people or deals are exactly the same. Knowing how to bring professional advise to the table with clear and concise understanding of real estate world. I can help you handle your buying, selling and investing, managing a 1031 Exchange, working with Equity Sales,Certified in Probate Sales (one of a handful!), Pre-Foreclosure, Regular and Short Sales there is little that I have not seen come across my desk over the decades!

Publications Member, Broker Agent Magazine, Long Beach Business Journal, Long Beach Press Telegram, Signal Hill Tribune, Grunion Gazette, All Experts, Zillow - Lead Agent - Advise Expert, Truila - Advise Expert,

Broker-owner, CPRES - Certified Probate Real Estate Specialist, RealtorŪ, GRI,e-Pro, SSG-Short Sale Certified

Managing Broker for WGroup Realtors 19 years running top selling agent in Long Beach, South Bay area California. Top Producer 11 years straight Re/Max - Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, C21, Realtyworld.

upon request = or check out our website and check the Testimonials section!