Buying or Selling a Home/sale of condo

I don't know about any of mother is in her 90's and lives in Texas. When she dies, her will states that I am her sole beneficiary of her assets,including her condo, that I will want to sell as quickly as possible. She doesn't have the deed to it showing she owns it, and my niece, who will be the executor, said we will probably have to get that from the county courthouse. In order for a real estate agent to sell the condo, 1.)will they need the actual deed? and 2.) will it somehow need to be transferred over to me before it can be sold or can it be sold without doing that? Thanks

Hi Lee;
Each state differs slightly in common practices but I know that in our area we do not look at the actual deed (though it is always nice to verify ownership).  Instead, I always check tax records to be sure that they correspond with the owner who wants to sell the property. In the case of an estate sale, it is extremely important for the property to be in the hands of someone with legal papers showing ownership or right to sell.  I would not want to suppose that the person selling the deceased's property has the right to sell otherwise.  Suppose the property wasn't really willed to the person who claims it is theirs now?  We as REALTORS cannot judge this and can only go by who is the legal owner before selling a property.  So; the short answer is, you will need some documentation to prove that the property is now yours to sell.

Jessica Bryan

Buying or Selling a Home

Jessica Bryan

buying and selling process such as:
General questions from first time buyers
How to market a home
Why choose a REALTOR
How do I find a REALTOR
Should I consider buying or selling without a REALTOR--how much can I save
Should I remodel or move
How much can I expect to gain by fixing up my home before selling
Helpful tips when selling
Helpful tips when buying
finding a good mortgage loan
what is the difference between banks, mortgage bankers, and mortgage brokers
Questions from the general public, people thinking about getting their real estate license, newly licensed.
Fellow professionals who have interests in networking and how to get started
What is a market evaluation and how does it differ from an appraisal what are the different loan programs
services a REALTOR can perform
when to use a lawyer
when to use escrow
what are the regional differences in the buying and selling process
what is the MLS and how does it work
how can the layman access information on the web--listings and other information
These are just a few of the questions. I can suggest that if I am unable to answer a question I will refer the inquiry to a source that can.

Anyone who is in this business and who dedicates oneself to professionalism has continued to take classes and along with it,additional credentials, awards and honors. I can list a host of them, but my greatest accomplishments happen to be those of getting first time buyers (who didn't think they could afford to buy a home)into a home of their dreams. The look on their faces when I hand over the keys is worth all of the hard work.