Buying or Selling a Home/Direct sale/no realtor

Question
My mother died in February, leaving a townhouse valued between $55 - 65k. Between mortgage and equity loan, she owes about $30k. After it clears probate in Texas, I plan to sell it. I recently got a letter from an individual investor stating they buy houses for cash, as is. I replied by email that they could make an offer and if it was reasonable, I would consider it. I really figured it was one of those rip-offs we hear of so often where they offer cash to get you interested, but the offer is way below market. That wasn't the case. They have offered me $65k. If I went with it, I would not have to go through closing or pay realtor fees. Is there something I'm missing or should I jump on this deal? Thanks for your time.

Answer
Hi Ed, so sorry to hear about your mom. I also lost my mom in February and I know how hard it is.

Anyway, you really should have a professional appraisal on the property to determine the true value. It's hard to imagine that someone who is in the business of offering cash for homes would pay full value. And you will need to at the very least have an attorney review any contracts they want you to sign. Also find out what closing costs you would be expected to pay.

It's been my experience that anything that sounds too good to be true, usually is. Please proceed with caution.

Buying or Selling a Home

Diann Tonnesen