Buying or Selling a Home/contract

Question
  My wife and I are looking for a retirement home in PA for next year.  We got a Real Estate agent.  She is nice but only been in the business one year and doesn't seem to know a lot except she insisted we sign a contract with Northwood Agency that she is our only agent.  I knew enough to limit her to 3 counties in our area and only for a month.  
  We must have looked at over 50 homes, most of which were a waste of time, lots of mold.  The pictures sure don't tell the whole picture and the agent had not been at any of them before.  
  We finally found a house and put money down, filled out all the paperwork.  The seller counteroffered (orally) and we bid again and they countered and we bid again and they orally accepted.  It has been 2 weeks and we don't have a contract.  The agent said we were legally responsible and would lose our hand money if we backed out but the seller was under no responsibility and could back out.
   Today the agent called and said the house is an estate and the executor son is a lawyer and he wants contract changed from a regular deed to a Fiduciary deed.  The agent said she never heard of this before and took it to her boss and they are consulting the agency's attorney.
   We are getting discouraged and don't know what to do.  We are spending a whole lot more for this house than we originally planned and we are rather stretched.  Can you offer any advice?

Answer
Good afternoon Don,

I'm so sorry to hear about this frustrating situation.  I can't find any reason why you don't have a copy of the written ratified contract; you should have had that within 24 hours of finalization.  

As for the type of deed, I think your agent is right to have it looked at by their attorney. However, I would suggest you consider hiring an attorney that represents YOU ALONE to provide a legal opinion just to be on the safe side.  Honestly, I think it would be worth the $200-$300 dollars to have someone on your side in this.

When you're dealing with a situation such as an estate sale, this requires more patience than an ordinary real estate transaction might.  If you get a legal opinion and you're comfortable with moving forward with the deal, just sit tight until it's done and remember it will all be worth it in the end if it's the right house.

Good luck to you!  

Buying or Selling a Home

Kerrin Kostelic, FL Broker Associate, GRI, AHWD