Buying or Selling a Home/Home warranty

Question
I have a 42 year old townhome. The heating and air units are original. Currently I have tenants renting my home. I'm unemployed.  I tried to sell it myself. But it didn't sell. I offered with the home a year home warranty.  I'm scared to hold on for another year without some back-up support for the air and heat units and heat pump.  Do you think it's beneficial to get a home warranty for the remainder of the time that I own it? Would it help to have a warranty if the heat and air went out?  The cost for me is of real concern since I'm not working.  Do you have any companies that you prefer?

Answer
Dear Leigh;
I would say that your Heating and Air units are probably on their last leg and with renters in your townhome, they may not take care of the system the way you would like in order to maintain it and care for it.  It is almost a certainty that there will be problems soon. A home warranty will certainly help in the event that something breaks down but you have to read the fine print of all of the home warranties.  There is usually a cap on what will be paid and there is also an out of pocket expense. I don't want to publicly endorse a company since my response is something that can be read by anyone. I would encourage you to do your research and see what is covered and for how much, but most of these companies are very competitive in their fees and coverage.

Best wishes,
Jessica Bryan  

Buying or Selling a Home

Jessica Bryan