Buying or Selling a Home/How to Purchase Out Of State

My husband and I live in Chicago and sold our condo last June.  Our lease is up June 30th and need to be out of the unit at that time.

We are looking towards Portage, MI, for a home.

We only made one trip out that way last fall to look at homes and talked with a broker.

Since it's getting into buying season again, we are trying to find a place to live.

I feel we don't have enough information on the area we considered moving to in MI to purchase a home at this time. My husband suggested that maybe we should rent.

Is there a way to determine the best process to become familiar with an area and whether to rent or buy immediately?

Thanks for any insights. :)

Hi Connie;
What a great question!  I think that the best thing to do is to talk to an agent in the city or town that might interest you. Make sure that the agent has lots of experience and can advise you  in an unbiased manner.  I think that renting a home for a while can be quite helpful particularly if you sign an agency agreement with the agent to assure them that you will use them when you are ready to buy.  You can also go to the chamber of commerce and ask for assistance from them to help you decide on the areas.  Many of the people who relocate to our area tend to spend a great deal of time on the Internet researching  before visiting.  Look up REALTOR Associations in the cities or towns to see if they provide an overview of their areas.  The visitors bureau can also be quite helpful. Again, the most helpful are the real estate Brokers.

Good luck and best wishes.

Jessica Bryan

Buying or Selling a Home

Jessica Bryan

buying and selling process such as:
General questions from first time buyers
How to market a home
Why choose a REALTOR
How do I find a REALTOR
Should I consider buying or selling without a REALTOR--how much can I save
Should I remodel or move
How much can I expect to gain by fixing up my home before selling
Helpful tips when selling
Helpful tips when buying
finding a good mortgage loan
what is the difference between banks, mortgage bankers, and mortgage brokers
Questions from the general public, people thinking about getting their real estate license, newly licensed.
Fellow professionals who have interests in networking and how to get started
What is a market evaluation and how does it differ from an appraisal what are the different loan programs
services a REALTOR can perform
when to use a lawyer
when to use escrow
what are the regional differences in the buying and selling process
what is the MLS and how does it work
how can the layman access information on the web--listings and other information
These are just a few of the questions. I can suggest that if I am unable to answer a question I will refer the inquiry to a source that can.

Anyone who is in this business and who dedicates oneself to professionalism has continued to take classes and along with it,additional credentials, awards and honors. I can list a host of them, but my greatest accomplishments happen to be those of getting first time buyers (who didn't think they could afford to buy a home)into a home of their dreams. The look on their faces when I hand over the keys is worth all of the hard work.