Buying or Selling a Home/Fix house when neighbors don't

Hi Russell,  I inherited my home in nj and doing all the repairs to get ready to sell it. My neighbors are letting their houses get run down. Is fixing my house a waste of money to get a good price on the home. Thank you

Hey, Mary.

I believe that fixing a house is never a waste of time or money. Don't go overboard, though. For example, if no one in the neighborhood has granite countertops, don't put granite countertops in. If no one has stainless appliances, don't put stainless appliances in. Make sure everything is working and in good order because any problems will be found by a home inspector and then negotiations probably will start all over again.

You could, though, simply note things that don't work rather than repairing them, and then disclose them. The presumption is that if you know and disclose, you probably adjusted the sales price to take the disclosures into account. Not always, but usually.

Best wishes with your sale.

Buying or Selling a Home

Russel Ray

Through home inspections, I provide an education about real estate. I'm one of those rare home inspectors who has been involved in real estate in many different capacities: as a Realtor (in Texas), as a property investor/flipper, as a teacher, and as a marketing expert (for Realtors and home inspectors). I believe that my experience as a Realtor and property investor provides me with a different viewpoint about home inspections in that I work for my Clients, but when there are other people involved in helping my Clients, then I firmly believe in helping them, too. That includes Realtors (both the seller's and the buyer's), repair professionals (e.g., plumbers, electricians, etc.). If I can get all the players (seller, seller's Realtor, buyer, buyer's Realtor, and repair professionals) playing in the same sandbox together to accomplish goals as a TEAM (Together Everyone Accomplishes More), then I believe I have succeeded in my job as a home inspector. My profession is, in my opinion, much more than simply documenting the condition of a property and then take the money and run. I am also a rare breed in that I don't believe that one inspection fits the needs of all Clients, and I have led the industry in understanding that fact. For example, the goals of a property investor are far different than the goals of someone buying a property to live in. The goals of a seller (a pre-listing inspection) are far different than the goals of a buyer (a pre-purchase inspection). To that end, I offer 14 different types of inspections, e.g., STANDARD, LIST, RENTER, BASIC, MAINTENANCE, SPOT, and more. I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt to all professionals in whatever industry they represent until they prove me wrong.

Over 42 years in all aspects of real estate--building homes, renovating homes, inspecting homes, Realtor.

National Association of Certified Home Inspector, Better Business Bureau of San Diego

Graduate of Texas A&M University; College Station, Texas