Buying or Selling a Home/Grants for Homebuyers

Hi Sharon, I am 29 years-old and I reside in Georgia. My goal is to own a home - first-time home buyer. I am aware of the down payment assistance program, Georgia Dream, but I don't feel like that's for me. I reached out to them and was told that it was a second mortgage and that a line would be placed on th property if the down payment wasn't paid back (if house was sold). Do you know of any grants that  first time home buyer could apply for? Thank you!

Sorry,Olivia, I don't know of any "Grants".  I am assuming that you mean money you don't have to pay back.  If your goal is to own a home then the best thing you can do for yourself is budget and sacrifice to save enough money for a down payment and pay off all your debts.  Check out Dave Ramsey for help on how to do this.  Good luck!

Buying or Selling a Home

Sharon Huneycutt, Realtor, Associate Broker, GRI, e-PRO

A lot of people who want to move to the mountains don't really realize what it might involve. For instance, here in North Georgia, if you want a mountain view, you may have to drive up very steep roads. Will you have well water (That's usually good!)? Do you speak septic tanks? Have you considered that if you want really want to get away from it all, you'll do it on a gravel road? What's difference between a Log home and a Log Sided home? How can I tell? Who takes care of the house when you're not there? Where can you stay to check it out? This is a very popular area for second homes and investment properties or when you finally decide to get way from it all, I can find your perfect property. I can answer questions on North Georgia Mountain living, housing, land, amenities, and activities. We handle a lot of foreclosed properties in our office so I have become a Certified REO Specialist. REO means Real Estate Owned and is the industry name for a Foreclosure. It refers to "owned by a bank or other corporate entity". If it involves an area of expertise I don't have, I can probably tell you what kind of an expert you do need.

We've had property in the Ellijay area for over 10 years. My husband, who is a Civil Engineer and Appraiser, and I built our own log home. We researched log homes and North Georgia for three years before choosing Ellijay. Because of the building experience and being married to an engineer/appraiser, my real estate experience is a bit more extensive than average. I also am an education freak believing that the more you know, the better off you are. My husband and I both like photography, so we drive and hike all over the mountains looking for pictures.

MHA, CMA, Licensed Realtor, Associate Broker, e-PRO, GRI, Certified REO Specialist. Realtors are required to have 24 hours of continuing education every 4 years. In the last three years, I have 180 hours so far!