Buying or Selling a Home/Buying mobile home vs renting apartment

Question
Hello Todd, thank you for your time and expertise!

I am newly retired, aged 64, have a modest retirement income, social security and some part time work. I live in the Chicago suburbs.

I presently rent an apartment for $650 a month, and would like my own place for privacy, quiet, etc.

Is it worth it to buy a mobile home? There is a park near me for ages 55 and up, very very nice, resort like, very well maintained and very nice mobile homes.

They have a few homes for sale from $20M on up. I can buy one for cash if it is around $20M. The one they have at that price is from 1979. And they have newer models also.

The lot rent is $700 which includes water, trash, snow removal.

Is it a good decision to buy one? Or, am I better off renting an apartment?

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Bob - The decision to purchase a manufactured home versus a single family stick built home is your preference. Many people choose manufactured homes because they are more affordable and have little to no yard maintenance. Many of these communities have resort like amenities, some more and some less. Typically any 55+ adult community will offer these amenities or similar, however most usually want a schedule of activities that will keep them busy.

Please understand there are many things which would need to be considered before I would be able to recommend whether this would be a good decision. Things such as your ability to make the payments, whether the price is comparable to other models and lots within that community and others like it, the number of amenities the facility includes as well as their condition in reference to other communities like it. I understand you cited it was a nice community however you should consider checking out other communities like it so you can determine whether this community has all that you desire for the price you are willing to pay.

Owning is always better than renting. You may desire to ensure you purchase a manufactured home (they called them mobile homes till 1985) which is affixed to the lot (not mobile). These at least have a value should you desire to sell someday or deed it to someone you desire.

If you should have specific questions you may reply to this post. Ultimately I recommend seeking the guidance of a local REALTOR who understands 55+ communities, the competition, and your market.

Thank you for taking the time to send in your question. I hope this answer meets with your approval. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. - Todd Menard

Buying or Selling a Home

Todd C. Menard, GRI, rCRMS, REALTOR, BROKER