Buying or Selling a Home/Mobile Home

Hello Dick, thank you for your time and expertise!

I am newly retired, aged 64, have a modest retirement income, social security and some part time work.

I presently rent an apartment for $650 a month, and would like my own place for privacy, quiet, etc.

Is it worth it to buy a mobile home? There is a park near me for ages 55 and up, very very nice, resort like, very well maintained and very nice mobile homes.

They have a few homes for sale from $20M on up. I can buy one for cash if it is around $20M. The one they have at that price is from 1979. And they have newer models also.

The lot rent is $700 which includes water, trash, snow removal.

Is it a good decision to buy one? Or, am I better off renting?

Thank you!

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Bob, but only you can make that decision. If you really want to find out if ANY mobile home is worth it you should do some investigating and see what comparable mobile homes sell for. Sure, the one you like really looks nice, but then you have to spend an arm and a leg for it. Also be aware that (depending on the location of the park) values for mobile homes usually sink, some slower than others.

Do spend the time to investigate. Also spend the time and see if your $20,000 will get you a good nice home in a decent neighborhood. But if it were me, there is no way I would spend $20,000 for a 37-year-old mobile home. I do wish you well.

Dick Dennis

Buying or Selling a Home

Dick Dennis

With more than 41 years as a real estate broker, I can solve most any problem presented. If I can`t, I do my research. Problems with mortgages, trust deeds, foreclosures, odd ways of conveying titles. Most any good Realtor can answer questions satisfactorily, but I answer questions that most cannot. Also, ask about my hard-copy newsletter, The Landed Gentry. It can also be sent to you via PDF.

Solving real estate problems for 37 years.

National Association of Realtors

Publishes The Landed Gentry, guest writer in Who's Who in Creative Real Estate, First Tuesday, Financial Freedom and many newspapers

e-Pro Realtor, Certified Distressed Property Expert, Who's Who in Creative Real Estate