Buying or Selling a Home/Home with solar panels

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this email/question. I am interested in leasing solar panels on the house I own. I've been living in my home for approximately 10 years I believe we will be selling within the next 5 years. What are your thoughts on leasing solar panels versus buying them. What I mean by leasing is the company will install maintain and benefit from all the tax credits with no added cost pocket from the homeowner. However, most companies require a contract that the panels are on your home for 20 years.

With that being said, my question is if I decide to lease and not buy will the solar panels still increase the value of my home? Will homeowners be less likely to look at a house where they are required to keep the panels on the house?   In your opinion what are the pros and cons of leasing versus buying solar panels  strictly in selling the house."

I would think this could narrow your market of potential you’d not only need a buyer that likes and needs your home and values it as you do, but you need a buyer that wants and can afford to keep up the agreement you’ve obligated them for.  I could see this backfiring on you and a buyer requiring you to buy out the solar panel agreement before closing.  In short, purchase them or don’t sign any lengthy agreement beyond your timeframe for ownership.  Just my 2 cents!

Buying or Selling a Home

Kerrin Kostelic, FL Broker Associate, GRI, AHWD

Let me know if you need help with any of following type questions: How to choose a great agent? Why do I need to hire a Realtor? What does "agency representation" mean in Florida? How does a Realtor get paid? What do I need to do to get my house ready for sale? How important is pricing in getting my home sold? What if I'm under water in my current mortgage? How do I go about getting a loan? Please keep in mind that I cannot give legal nor financial advice as I am not licensed for either of these activities. In addition, real estate law changes from state to state; I am licensed in Florida only so that is specifically my area of expertise. If it is a more general real estate question, feel free to ask away!

I have been a full time real estate licensee in the State of Florida since 2000 and received my brokers license in 2005. I have helped 200+ clients and customers buy and/or sell a home, condo, or vacant property since that time. I continue to educate myself in my field taking numerous courses on financing, negotiating, contracts, Fair housing, construction, all in order to become a better professional.

National Association of Realtors Florida Realtors Pensacola Assn of Realtors Leadership Pensacola class of 2008 Gulf Coast Search and Recovery, K-9 Inc -- volunteer, handler in training, & Secretary/Treasurer

BA in Social Sciences/Language Arts with Elem. Education certification--Univ of Michigan, 1993 Real Estate licensee in FL -- Oct 2000 to present Graduate, Realtor Institute, Nat'l Assn of Realtors -- 2004 Broker Associate, FL -- 2005 At Home with Diversity designation, Nat'l Assn of Realtors -- 2009

International Diamond and Sterling Societies, Coldwell Banker for high production and volume levels. CB United, 100% Customer Satisfaction rating Military Relocation 100% Satisfaction rating "Award of Excellence" from for Outstanding Internet Marketing