Buying or Selling a Home/Solar panels

Question
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this email/question. I am interested in leasing solar panels on the house I own. I've been living in my home for approximately 10 years I believe we will be selling within the next 5 years. What are your thoughts on leasing solar panels versus buying them. What I mean by leasing is the company will install maintain and benefit from all the tax credits with no added cost pocket from the homeowner. However, most companies require a contract that the panels are on your home for 20 years.

With that being said, my question is if I decide to lease and not buy will the solar panels still increase the value of my home? Will homeowners be less likely to look at a house where they are required to keep the panels on the house?   In your opinion what are the pros and cons of leasing versus buying solar panels  strictly in selling the house."

Answer
In my opinion, John, I favor owning ALL parts of your home. I would also think that not every buyer would be interested in owning a house that the panels are being rented. When it comes time for you to sell your house I would think that you would only be interested in owning the panels.

However, in your negotiations with a solar company make sure they tell you everything you would want to know as the owner of the panels and the house.. I do wish you well.

Dick Dennis
dixiedee13@gmail.com

Buying or Selling a Home

Dick Dennis