Buying & Selling Thru Ebay & Other Auctions/Two paintings at an informal auction

Question
Painting1
Painting1  

Painting2
Painting2  
I went to a garage sale this past weekend and found two paintings that I really liked. Unfortunately,  two other people fell in love with the paintings as well during that day. The owner didn't put a price on the paintings and she's willing to sell them to whoever offers the most for them. (I attached the paintings so you could see them). How much would be a fair price for each painting? And what's the best way to outbid the other two people without going too far over that fair price?
Each painting was done on a stretched canvas in acrylic paint by a local artist (in other words, someone not super famous). Thanks for reading.

Answer
Hello,

Further research would be needed online and via eBay's completed listings to get an accurate range of pricing. When I sell something however I do not worry too much about what it sells for as you never really know for sure. There are many factors involved. I sell things to make a profit and so I list it for the least amount I'm willing to take. If I buy something for $10 and want to double my money than I need to list no less than $25 (consider commissions from ebay) so at auction I'd start at $24.99 and if it sells for that, then good. Anymore than that's a bonus.

On the other hand, you can place it at a "buy it now" with "best offer" and do the opposite. List high to allow for bargaining. I do that with my art a lot. I will list for say, $199 or best offer. If they offer $100 then I'd take it (if I paid $10, etc) The amount to accept is up to you.

Lastly, if you really want to take the time to know more on the value then again, more research is needed on the artist, the demand, if any others are for sale now, condition, etc. You can do that with software for sale or just on ebay itself via "completed" listings.

I hope that helped some?

Buying & Selling Thru Ebay & Other Auctions

Brigitte Leber