Buying & Selling Thru Ebay & Other Auctions/Question on Buying Items

Question
Hi!
When buying used items, for example on eBay, how do I ensure that I am buying something that is in good faith. For example, how do I check to ensure that the used item being sold is not stolen and seller has title. Interested in buying a used video camera but, would like to know how to ensure that what I am buying belong to the owner and is not stolen.
The other question I have is to find out, how do I register personal items after buying them to be able to prove that I bought x or y item.
What are the different ways of registering an item?

Answer
Good question. eBay is a dangerous place to buy if you are not careful. There is no guarantee you are not buying a stolen item; however I can tell you in 16 years of doing business on eBay I've never had that problem.

A MUCH more common problem is that the item you buy is not working properly or not accurately described.

The best way to avoid all problems is to pay close attention to the seller's feedback ratings, including the total number, the positive percentage, and the Detailed Seller Ratings.

eBay does have a pretty good Buyer Protection policy but if you're buying a big ticket item, I would advise paying with PayPal FUNDED BY YOUR CREDIT CARD. That way if you have any problem that can't be resolved, you can file a dispute with PayPal, and if that fails, still file a chargeback with your credit card company.

I don't know anything about registering purchases, sorry.

Theo
AutographsForSale.com

Buying & Selling Thru Ebay & Other Auctions

Theo Chen