Buying a computer system/Migration of XP applications

I have an older PC that I have been using for about 10-12 years and use Windows XP Professional (Ver 5.1, Service Pack 3) as an operating system.
I plan to buy a new, more powerful PC with a faster processor, more memory, and more storage as well as acquire the latest (or, at least a more recent) operating system.
Three questions:
 1 - what would you recommend I get for an operating system ?
 2 - will my current XP applications still work on the new system ?
 3 - I use "Acronis True Backup" once a month to back up my entire hard drive - Could I use that back-up as the data source to transfer my current files, applications, and setting to my new PC?

Thanks for your help.

It depends on what hardware you end up buying - Windows is still the most popular and common option, with Windows 8 being the current upcoming/popular choice, but Windows 7 is still very suitable and relevant. Either way I don't think you will go wrong.

Regarding compatibility with Windows XP applications - it really depends on a per-application basis, in some cases it's better to upgrade (for example Windows 7 will ship with a newer and more sophisticated version of Internet Explorer, which is better than what is available with Windows XP). With other applications, you should consider them a on a case-by-case basis, what is essential, what will work, what will be upgraded, etc.

As far as a back-up, no, you cannot dump already installed applications into a separate install of Windows, you have to re-install them. Your files can be transfered with utilities available in Windows, or you can perform the operation manually over a network or with removable storage.

Buying a computer system

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience