Buying a computer system/Advice on buying a new laptop

I am from india and am moving to new zealand for higher studies (mechanical engineering). i need to buy a new laptop but i cant decide which brand and model should i get. my requirements are a minimum intel i5 processor, 4gb ram, 2gb dedicated video card. i dont need big hard disk or super sound speakers as i just need my laptop for all sort of college works plus to write novels for am an author. good build quality and comfortable keyboard i desire. kindly help me choose a particular model that is available between 1000 NZ$ to 1300NZ$ and also i need your advice on whether i should buy a laptop from india or should i get it when i go to new zealand itself?
thanks and regards

I would buy the hardware in New Zealand, so that you get the appropriately localized power supply; you'll have to deal with adapters if you bring the system back to India with you later though (you can probably buy a replacement power supply in India).

Regarding specific hardware, I would suggest looking at Dell or HP - they generally offer reliable hardware and excellent warranty/post-sales service, so in the event anything goes wrong, the manufacturer will at least provide support (if not fix the product under warranty). I would be somewhat skeptical of the "2GB dedicated videocard" requirement though - ask whoever is generating this specification for more detailed information, otherwise I'd more or less ignore it.

Buying a computer system

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience