Buying a computer system/desktop

So my desktop is only a few yrs old & instead of buying a new one- was wondering if I could "erase & start fresh"- if I were to do that-
#1: HOW?
#2: advisable?
it is an HP  Pavilion p671Of PC

thanks- If I were to buy new one (which might have to once I screw up the erasing & starting new-ha)
in the 500-1000 range- which would YOU buy...MAC/WINDOWS...& which model...
I basically surf web- kids do homework websites-lots of picture downloads/editing

What operating system does your existing machine have, and what can you tell me about the installed hardware?
From HP's marketing literature, this looks like a very modern machine - there should be no reason to replace it for your workload (based on its marketing specs), assuming there is no hardware fault.

Regarding the "start over" question - may I ask why? Is the machine simply running slowly? Or what?

Finally, do you have any of the discs or paperwork that would have accompanied the PC new from HP? Specifically we want a "Windows Restore Disc" or "Operating System Restore Disc" (or something similar). If not, what do you have?

Buying a computer system

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience