Buying a computer system/budget gaming

Question
Hello,
I have been looking to buy a laptop for a quite some time now, and an accomplice of mine said to only buy an Intel, never an AMD. He had bought an AMD and said he could not receive upgrades. Which would be better for gaming?

Also, I have seen the 17R for 469.99$, but recently i saw the HP Pavilion G6 15.6" Laptop AMD A4-4300M / 750GB HDD / 6GB RAM / Windows 8, with better specs.(other than battery life) Do you have an advisable choice for me?

Finally, I am wondering if you have any recommendations. I am (hopefully) budgeting myself on a 500$ pre shipping and taxes budget. As long as I am able to play most games at low specs, I'll be fine.

Thanks.

Answer
There's no reason to avoid AMD or preference Intel; both are very competent and stand on a long history of quality hardware. If your accomplice is meaning hardware upgrades, however, that's an unfortunate reality of laptops in general - you're generally "stuck" with what you get out of the box.

Furthermore, the primary specification you should be evaluating for gaming is the GPU included in these systems - as it will have the most bearing on how well 3D games run.

-bob

Buying a computer system

Bobbert