Buying a computer system/budget gaming

I have been looking to buy a laptop for a quite some time now, and an accomplice of mine said to only buy an Intel, never an AMD. He had bought an AMD and said he could not receive upgrades. Which would be better for gaming?

Also, I have seen the 17R for 469.99$, but recently i saw the HP Pavilion G6 15.6" Laptop AMD A4-4300M / 750GB HDD / 6GB RAM / Windows 8, with better specs.(other than battery life) Do you have an advisable choice for me?

Finally, I am wondering if you have any recommendations. I am (hopefully) budgeting myself on a 500$ pre shipping and taxes budget. As long as I am able to play most games at low specs, I'll be fine.

There's no reason to avoid AMD or preference Intel; both are very competent and stand on a long history of quality hardware. If your accomplice is meaning hardware upgrades, however, that's an unfortunate reality of laptops in general - you're generally "stuck" with what you get out of the box.

Furthermore, the primary specification you should be evaluating for gaming is the GPU included in these systems - as it will have the most bearing on how well 3D games run.

Buying a computer system

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience