Buying a computer system/Buying a laptop

My Toshiba A215 is 5 years old, and my bellsouth email was hacked Sunday night.

For a couple of months, when I ask it to do something strenuous, like run a full scan on MSE or MBAM, after a while, it shuts down. I run these 2 programs regularly, plus Superprofessional Spyware and CCleaner. Are they enough to keep me virus free?

Do I need a new computer? If Yes, what should I buy? My needs are simple, like using Word and online programs.  Do I need to just clean my registry?

Many thanks for your help.

Can you provide some more information about the system - what operating system is it running, has it ever been re-formatted (the operating system re-installed), is the system running unusually hot, etc?

Generally speaking it isn't wise to run multiple anti-virus programs at once - as it tends to both present a very large drain on system resources, and in some cases you can actually decrease efficacy of a single AV program. Microsoft Security Essentials is perfectly suitable as an anti-virus application by itself, as long as it is kept up to date.

Buying a computer system

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience