Buying a computer system/Sharing 2 ext HD's with 2 PCs

Again thanks for all your help. My new Lenovo and  old VAIO or
set up side-by-side using the like a charm.

I have a 1TB ext WD HD and also a smaller ext. Iomega HD Both are USB. My VAIO is XP and new Lenovo windows 8. I found this switch
which mentions XP but not windows 8. Goal: Give both PC's access to both ext hard drives using a switch similar to the KVM but here 2 ext HDs to 2 PCs. Would this switch work or do you know of another that would do the job? Would the switch have any negative impact when either PC is accessing them? Thanks.

The switch will not work as desired, and I wouldn't bother with a switch in this situation anyways. Assuming both machines are networked (if I remember correctly you said they were), attach the drives to one of the machines and share them via the network; you'll be able to access them in real time.

More information: (Windows XP) (Windows 8)

In both cases it follows the rough formula of:

- Connect up the drive
- Right click on it's icon, and select "Properties"
- Select the "Sharing" sub-menu from the Properties box
- Enable "Sharing" on the network
- On other computers, access the drive via the network (My Network, Network Places, etc)

I would probably "host" the drives on whichever machine is powered up more often, so that they're accessible more often.

Buying a computer system

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience