Buying a computer system/Updating XP to Windows 7

Hi, here are my computer properties:  120GB Hard drive; Microsoft  32 Bit Windows xp.
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Registered to: 76477-OEM-0011903-00106

Compact Presario
AMD Sempron Processor 3000+
1.81 GHz   1.93 GB RAM

Under Presario (C:) local disk it says
File System NTFS
Free Space 78.6 GB
Total Size 106 GB

Do you think this computer can have Windows 7 installed economically? Do you think a refurbished would be worth while?  I am wanting to put off buying a new computer while I get my expenses paid down.

Thank you for any help you can advise on this issue,

Depending on which generation of Sempron you have (there are multiple different parts all sold as Sempron 3000+ over the years, unfortunately), and what graphics hardware your system has, yes Windows 7 should work (you have enough memory and hard-disk space to support it). Given that you have fairly recent hardware, the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor would be the easiest way to determine the exact level of support from the machine (e.g. if Aero would work):

Additionally if you know what specific model of Compaq Presario you have, we can look it up from the HP support documentation and determine what kind of upgrades and other parts are available for it.

Buying a computer system

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience