Buying a computer system/buying a laptop

Question
This is not the laptop category, unfortunately there are no available experts in that category right now. So let me ask, what should I buy between Lenovo G series and Asus X series? I will use it for daily computing especially 2D drawing in AutoCAD, video editing, watching 1080p movies, adobe photoshop and flash with daily web browsing.
Here are they
Lenovo G410 (2.5 GHz i5-4200m, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Intel HD 4600)
Asus X450LC WX035H (1.6 GHz i5-4200u, 4GB DDR3, 500 GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 720m)

I am happy with both a 2.5GHz i5m, or a low voltage 1.6GHz i5u.but disregarding their turbo capability, I think both will run out of battery At about 3hrs?? Or 4 maybe because of asus' graphics card and lenovo's fast i5m. Please help me choose between the two considering my line of activities. Thank you.

Answer
In general neither system will be "ideal" for AutoCAD, as they won't be certified for it (Autodesk only tends to certify professional-grade hardware), however for 2D functions neither should be all that problematic as long as you don't expect outstanding performance. The other features will be more or less equivalent as both GPUs can do HD video acceleration and such. Depending on which version of Photoshop you have, it may support some forms of GPU acceleration, however even without that, the Core i5 shouldn't have much of a problem.

Battery life will be better if you aren't running CAD or Photoshop on the go, however shouldn't be terrible for either system. Lenovo specs the G410 at up to 6 hours of battery life, and while Asus doesn't seem to publish specific battery life figures (likely due to the various configurations the X450 can come with), it should be safe to assume a similar 5-6 hour battery life depending on usage.

As far as which to buy - either would be suitable beyond the CAD requirement (and for that you will either have to settle for non-professional hardware, or spend considerably more money for a "mobile workstation" that is qualified for CAD), and Lenovo and Asus both make fine machines. I'd let price, warranty terms, retail accessory package, etc be the deciding factors - basically which gives you more incentives.

-bob

Buying a computer system

Bobbert