Buying a computer system/new computers

Hi,  do all the new computers come with Windows 10 now?   I've been thinking of getting a new laptop (HP) and I have Windows 7, IE9 right now and am happy,
but everyone tells me I won't like Windows 10.  If I were to go to the store today, would all the laptops have Windows 10 ?  Thanks.

Generally new computers these days will come with either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, however some workstations and other professionally-oriented systems will come with Windows 7 at your option. That said, you would very likely be able to demo Windows 10 at a retailer selling modern computers, to determine if you would prefer it or not. Generally, if your computer is recent enough, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free as well (as part of Microsoft's Windows 10 launch program). Additionally, both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are still supported, so there is no reason to upgrade or replace a machine running either operating system simply for the sake of modernity.

Finally, Internet Explorer 9 is seriously outdated, and should be updated (the latest version for Windows 7 is IE11), for security and stability reasons. An older browser like IE9 will expose significant vulnerabilities and weaknesses to the web; this is not an IE-unique phenomenon, just a function of older browsers being out of date. The update to IE11 is free, and should be handled by Windows Update, but can also be manually initiated from here:

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Buying a computer system

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience