Buying a computer system/New laptop

I would like a thin laptop that I can use illustrator, photo shop, solid works, and  more. What do you recommend. Brand, model,   i5 or i7. Any other knowledge you can bestow upon me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

I would suggest looking at Dell and HP's mobile workstation lines, as well as the Apple Macbook Pro if your software licencing can work with OS X. The distinction between i5 and i7 is not so significant, especially with mobile processors. Generally the "add" for the i7 is HyperThreading, which is of arguable benefit depending on your specific application workload, however many mobile i5 chips come similarly equipped, further blurring the lines. Overall I would look for a machine that satisfies your budget and other requirements as well (e.g. storage, graphics hardware, memory, etc).

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Buying a computer system

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience