C++/#ifndef preprocessor

Hello, Mr McArdell

I have the following question

I've been trying to use the #ifndef, #define and #endif preprocessors to avoid multiple file inclusions

How do I do this??
Could you provide a simple example?

P.S. I've been looking in c++ books and on the net for this
but there is not much information on this topic. I wonder if it's because it's uncommon practice or an old code syntax...

The technique you refer to is called include guards. In fact to be specific it is internal include guards, rather than external include guards because the guard against multiple inclusion of the body of a header file is included internally to that header file. There is a related technique of external include guards whereby the including files provide guards against multiple header file inclusion, however this involves more work and maintenance, and was mooted as possibly useful for huge projects to reduce compile times by stopping the compiler from even starting to process header files more than once.

The technique is not uncommon - far from it, nor is it old syntax, although some compilers provide specific support for header file single inclusion, the Microsoft Visual C++ compilers for example have a #pragma once directive that can be placed at the start of a header file. The problem with facilities like #pragma once is that they are non-standard and therefore not portable between compilers.

The idea is this:

The first time a header file is included we define a uniquely named macro, and process the body of the header file.

Subsequent inclusions will not process the body of the header as this macro is defined.

Thus we get:

If macro not defined:
   define macro
   process header body
End If

If you check almost any library header file intended for compilers without specific support for header file single inclusion you are likely to come across examples, although there are some exceptions where multiple inclusion is intended it is not the norm.

Here is an outline:

// Header file outline

// body of header file

#endif // ifndef HEADER_FILE_GUARD_MACRO

Note that the name of the macro, HEADER_FILE_GUARD_MACRO in this case, has to be unique (at least within the scope of the header file's usage) and therefore different for every header file. I have seen several schemes used to help ensure this, for example using date and time in the name or using a UUID/ GUID value in the name. I currently use the name of my company, the project name, names of each namespace in the namespace 'path' the items in the header file are members of and the name of the header file all converted to upper case and spaces, dots etc. replaced by underscores. Here are some real life examples:

1/ From a wizard generated MFC project stdafx.h file from an older Microsoft Visual C++ IDE, which uses a UUID  value in the guard macro name (newer such header files just use #pragma once):

#if !defined(AFX_STDAFX_H__360AB1F7_8C5F_11D5_BDDB_009027889720__INCLUDED_)
#define AFX_STDAFX_H__360AB1F7_8C5F_11D5_BDDB_009027889720__INCLUDED_

// Header body ...

#endif // !defined(AFX_STDAFX_H__360AB1F7_8C5F_11D5_BDDB_009027889720__INCLUDED_)

Note they prefer the equivalent #if !defined(...) to #ifndef and use double underscores, which, alas, we as mere users of C++ are not allowed to do. Such usages are reserved for implementers.

2/ Date and time example. I had to make this one up as I did not have an actual example to hand:

#ifndef HEADER_2008_03_24_12_49_VECTOR_H
# define HEADER_2008_03_24_12_49_VECTOR_H

// Header body ...

3/ Long name using hopefully unique company, project and namespace details:

// Header body ...

// Header body ...

As you can see my project has more than one types.h header for types used for different modules, which have their own namespace. To keep them separate each module's headers are kept in a their own directory (named similarly to the module's namespace) below the main project include directory.

Finally, one thing I should mention is that if you are getting very weird errors from compiling source files that include a new header file that you created by copying and modifying an existing header file then check you updated the name of the include guard macro in the new header file. The errors would imply the compiler has no knowledge of the definitions and declarations in either the new header file or the one you copied it from initially, depending on which was included first. I speak from experience!

There is a Wikipedia article on include guards at

Hope this has clarified the technique for you.  

Ralph McArdell

I am a software developer with more than 15 years C++ experience and over 25 years experience developing a wide variety of applications for Windows NT/2000/XP, UNIX, Linux and other platforms. I can help with basic to advanced C++, C (although I do not write just-C much if at all these days so maybe ask in the C section about purely C matters), software development and many platform specific and system development problems.

My career started in the mid 1980s working as a batch process operator for the now defunct Inner London Education Authority, working on Prime mini computers. I then moved into the role of Programmer / Analyst, also on the Primes, then into technical support and finally into the micro computing section, using a variety of 16 and 8 bit machines. Following the demise of the ILEA I worked for a small company, now gone, called Hodos. I worked on a part task train simulator using C and the Intel DVI (Digital Video Interactive) - the hardware based predecessor to Indeo. Other projects included a CGI based train simulator (different goals to the first), and various other projects in C and Visual Basic (er, version 1 that is). When Hodos went into receivership I went freelance and finally managed to start working in C++. I initially had contracts working on train simulators (surprise) and multimedia - I worked on many of the Dorling Kindersley CD-ROM titles and wrote the screensaver games for the Wallace and Gromit Cracking Animator CD. My more recent contracts have been more traditionally IT based, working predominately in C++ on MS Windows NT, 2000. XP, Linux and UN*X. These projects have had wide ranging additional skill sets including system analysis and design, databases and SQL in various guises, C#, client server and remoting, cross porting applications between platforms and various client development processes. I have an interest in the development of the C++ core language and libraries and try to keep up with at least some of the papers on the ISO C++ Standard Committee site at