C++/loop

Question
i am doing a program to average grades that is ended by a sentinal. how do i remove an unwanted imput. if i enter a number > 100 it will tell me it is an invalid grade but it still counts it in the average....i cant get around it.

Answer
Note that as this is almost certainly homework or an assignment of some sort I am not going to show full C++ code. I shall use pseudo code instead - I shall leave it to you to re-phrase what I suggest as C++ in the context of your program.

I presume you have something like the following (in pseudo code):

LOOP
       READ value

IF value not in range
         OUTPUT message to user
       END IF

UPDATE average calculation data

WHILE not the sentinel value

So how about using something like the following in the loop:

IF value not in range
       OUTPUT message to user
   ELSE
       UPDATE average calculation data
   ENDIF

That is either the value is bad - in which case you request the user to enter a value within the correct range as you are doing at the moment or the value is OK in which case it counts towards the average. Remember if statements can have an associated else clause (this is true of most - if not all - procedural programming languages).

If fact you should only count values towards the average if the value is in range and it is not the sentinel value. Also you should only output the message to the user about invalid input if the entered value is not the sentinel value:

IF value is not the sentinel value
       IF value not in range
         OUTPUT message to user
       ELSE
         UPDATE average calculation data
       END IF
   ENDIF

Of course if we place the logic to read a value into a function that returns the value then we could re-phrase the logic like so:

WHILE ReadValue(value) is not sentinel value
       IF value not in range
         OUTPUT message to user
       ELSE
         UPDATE average calculation data
       END IF
   END WHILE

Note that the ReadValue function above both returns the read value and updates the passed in argument with the read value.
I do not know if you have covered writing your own functions yet. Do not worry if you have not - I show the above just as another possibility.

In C and C++ if ... else looks like so:

if ( condition )
       if-statement
   else
       else-statement

Where the statements are either single statements such as

std::cout << "Invalid input...\n";

or
   ++count;

Or are compound statement blocks enclosed in { and } such as:

{
       ++count;
       sum += value;
   }

I tend to use the compound statement block forms even for single statements with if and else (and other places such as for, while, do etc) as it is quite likely extra statements will need to be added at some point so it is best to have put the { and } in place to start with rather than forget them later and have the program behave in unexpected ways! However this is a very personal sort of thing.

By the way what happens if the user enters a negative value? Are these valid for your program? Ditto for non-numeric input or floating point values.

You might like to consider how to check for such invalid input data - and how many ways a user could enter data in a bad or unexpected way.

Hope this moves you forward.  

C++

Ralph McArdell