C++/C/C++

Question
Why the return type of main() is either void or int? why not float?

Answer
This is because main "returns" to the operating system.  The value returned is often a pass/fail response (0 or 1) or it can return an error number. From long ago before C and C++, error codes were integers and so OSes expected error codes as integers and all languages since then have their entry point from the OS expect a return of an integer.  If main returns void this is not correct for C (and maybe C++) - the ISO C standard states main should return int.  It can return anything you want but doing so is not expected and likely to produce undesirable results.

Bill

C++

Bill A