C++/c++ querry

Question
why the output of
400*400/400 is 72

Answer
Hi, Anuj.

The problem is that the calculation is being performed using shorts (2-byte numbers).  The maximum number that a 2-byte data type can contain is 65535.  So, consider:

400 * 400 = 160000
   160000 % 65535 = 28930
   28930 / 400 = 72.325

The second line, where I do a modulus by 65535 yields what the wrap-around value for the calculation would end up being.  The end result, 72.325, is clipped to 72 because your data type is not a floating point type.

So, when using 2-byte number types, the maximum value of 65535 will cause large calculations to return bad results, such as your case where a calculation that should clearly equate to 400 is equating to 72.

Hope that clears everything up.  If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.  I'm here to help. :)

C++

Joseph Moore