C++/recurser

Question
Good day,,my problem is:
use recursion to write a program that returns the factorial of any number greater than 0. (Factorial is number*number-1*number-2...*1)
Hope you can help!thankS:]

Answer
Hi, Isheen.

The factorial of an integer (non-negative) is defined as the product of every positive integer less than or equal to the integer.  The symbol for a factorial is the exclamation point (!).  So, the factorial of A (represented as A!) would be the product of every integer from 1 to A.  5!, for example, is:

1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 = 120

The algorithm for this is really quite simple and makes for an easy recursive function:

int factorial(int num)
  {
      if (num == 1)
         return num;
      else
         return factorial(num - 1) * num;
  }

You can see here how the function calls itself, decrementing num by one.  In this manner, there is a change in the input value and a defined end point (num == 1).  Once the end point is reached, the return values cascade back until the initial caller of the recursive function is reached.

If you have any further questions, or if I have raised any new questions for you, please do not hesitate to ask.  I'm here to help. :)

C++

Joseph Moore