C++/What is better than RichEdit 4.1?

Question
QUESTION: I asked this question before, but I am still not clear of the answer. I prefer that instead of receiving a link (to a somewhat complicated page at Microsoft) be just be given a direct answer.

I hired a programmer and then another and both do not seem to know if they could use the latest RichEdit version for C++. They are using older versions that would work at the level of WordPad, but I want the program to work at the level of Word (the latest formatting and features)

The program being developed right now is on RichEdit 4.1, but we are having problems with formatting. I cannot deliver to customers a product that would be crashing. I wanted the programmers to use the latest RichEdit for the best functionality, but the programmers are concerned that there is no clear answer as to they are allowed to use it in developing programs without us being accused of copyright infringement or the like. What is the latest RichEdit version that can be used freely by programmers to make software that can be sold? Will that latest version require to include Microsoft's EULA?

Thank you.

ANSWER: > What is the latest RichEdit version that can be used freely by programmers to make software that can be sold?

If the software is writen to run on Windows XP SP1 orlater, RichEdit 4.1

> Will that latest version require to include Microsoft's EULA?

No. (RichEdit 4.1 is already covered under the users EULA.)

QUESTION: Thank you. After sending the question I found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/es-co/library/bb787873(en-us,VS.85).aspx

that it seems that is the latest version. Then if I have the latest version why we are limited to using RTF and TXT files and the program cannot handle doc files or similar files. What are we missing. Do we need to switch to something else and what would that be? Does Microsoft allow to use that better text editor?

Cesar

Answer
> it seems that is the latest version.

Microsoft Office always has the more recent (better with enhanced functionality) versions of the RichEdit control. Standard Windows RichEdit controls are far behind those shipped with programs like Microsoft Office and Encarta Math Calculator. For example RichEdit 6.0 or 7.0 are standard with Office editions.

> Do we need to switch to something else and what would that be? Does Microsoft allow to use that better text editor?

Micrsoft allows the use of latest RichEdit controls on computers on which Microsoft Office is installed - no licence is required for that. So if your program is going to be run only on machines which already have Office 2007 or the Encarta Math Calculator installed, you can freely use RichEdit 6.0 which is part of Office 2007. Otherwise, you cannot use it. That is, if a customer machine already has RichEdit 6.0 installed, you can freely use it in your program, but you cannot redistribute RichEdit 6.0 yourself.  

C++

vijayan