C++/bachelor of computer science

Question

Hello, Bill

I'm halfway towards my bachelor of computer science degree.
I just got a question for you (which may sound a bit silly for you, but for me it is sth i dont know very well)

is a degree with a specialization (such as animation, game development, software engineer, database etc) more important than a general degree in computer science?

what is your opinion about that??

Sincerely,

John K.

p.s. by the way, the general degree in computer science would allow me to choose any comp science course until i achieve a certain number of credit points.

Answer
Hi John,

Good to hear this!  Glad you're getting finished.

No, it's not a silly question.  I think you will end up by default specializing in what you like to do best.  If you like writing programs for games then you should do this.  However, don't lose sight of the job market - there aren't a lot of jobs for game programming.  A general degree isn't bad, but if you show a specialty and look for a job for that specialty, I would expect you to have a better chance of landing a job over someone with a general programming background.  I do think the bottom line is if you know how to program well, you'll find programming different applications to be interesting no matter what the specialty you start out in.

Good luck!
Bill

C++

Bill A