C++/overloaded function

Question
Hello,

I compiled the below code in CC and get:
'Warning: b::a_method hides the virtual function a::a_method().'

class a
{
 public:
 virtual int a_method(int x, int y, int z)
 {
  //...
 }
 virtual int a_method(int x, int y)
 {
  //...
 }
};

class b : public a
{
 public:
 int a_method(int x, int y)
 {
  int temp;
  return a::a_method(x, y, z); //
 }
};

When we declare an overloaded function in derived class (b::a_method(int)) it hides all functions with the same name from base class (a::a_method()). But in our code using a::a_method in b definition, a::a_method won't become hidden. My question is that is there anything we can do to get rid of the warnings? Or is it compiler's issues and nothing we can do?  

Answer
Terence,

I tried this with my C++ compiler (Visual Studio 2002) and I don't get a warning with the code above.  Do you get the warning with exactly the code above?  If not, maybe something was deleted and got rid of it.  I did get an error about 'z' so I just made it a 1.

If your tools are older, it might be a bug.  If they are very current then perhaps it's a new warning that Visual Studio is missing.  To me it sounds like a picky warning anyway and I wouldn't worry about it.

Bill

C++

Bill A