C++/A question on "Field lenght"

Hi Bill,

I don't know if this is directly related to your field of expertise... I'm translating into Spanish a software to manage surveys, and I have a problem with the following sentence:

For dropdown fields, the "Field Lenght" is the maximum number of digits that any option can use (e.g. 88 for a "Refused" option requires 2 digits).

A bit of context: by using the software, the user can create different questions, including dropdown lists. In the text, it is explained how to set the "Field Lenght". However, I don't understand the sentence! Could you help me!

Hi Patricia!

I think it means "Field length is the maximum number of digits allowed for the field".  If the user can enter a number from 10 to 999, then "Field Length" would be 3.  The software would presumably prevent the user from entering 1020 if the field length were 3.

Take care,

Bill A

I can answer questions about C++, programming algorithms, Windows programming in MFC (which is C++). I cannot answer questions about STL (templates) and I have no experience with Linux. I do enjoy reviewing code and critiquing it or finding problems in it. I will also gladly show better algorithms or methods if you want to take advantage of that.

I've developed a commercial embedded C compiler/assembler and IDE with debugger toolset, of which the IDE and debugger are written in C++. I work in the industry writing high tech embedded programs and Windows programs to communicate with the embedded devices.

Book: Embedded Systems Design using the Rabbit 3000 Microprocessor Authored Chapter 10 in its entirety.

BS Computer Engineering