C++/scope

Question
QUESTION: Hello! Id like to ask a scope question if you have time. I have a function (function A) that creates an array of objects of type MyClass. Everything works great but I cannot access this array with my other functions. In order to make this array available I need to give it global scope (define it outside of any other function). However, I cannot do that either because once I declare an array outside the functions, I cannot later allocate it dynamically inside a function. So, I have a scope problem. I also tried to declare a pointer outside of functions like this:

extern MyClass *myArray;

and then within my function A I declare my array like this

MyClass *myArray[100];

This, surprsisingly, makes it possible for the other functions of the program to recognize myArray as a legitimate thing but creating a pointer like this (when done by a function other than function A) will never work:

MyClass *pointer=myArray[5];

This should work because when I do this in the function A, everything works.

What do you think Im doing wrong? Thank you for finding the time to help me!! - eric

ANSWER: Eric,

I would use dynamic allocation.  Although you *can* do what you want to do, it's not a good practice.  So I won't show you how. :-)  The better way to do it is:

extern MyClass *myArray;

void functionUsing_myArray()
{
// This must be used after the next function
 doSomethingWith_myArray (myArray[5]);
}

void functionAllocating_myArray()
{
myArray = new MyClass[100];
}

Somewhere before the program exits, you must do:

delete [] myArray;  // free memory for myArray

Bill

QUESTION:  Thanks for your answer.
I changed how I declare the array of objects. Now I declare the array locally in a function and when another function operates on it, I pass the array as an argument. This works most of the time but sometimes I get weird problems. It seems that the functions that are executed earlier are affected by functions that aren't even executed yet. This is typically a sign of memory management problems. May I ask you the following question:
 What is the difference between declaring an array of objects like this:

MyClass *array=new MyClass[100];
vs.
MyClass *array[100];

Only the latter compiles for my program but executes with errors.

So, a simplified version of what I'm trying to do is this:

void main()
{
MyClass *array[100];
modifyArray(array);
delete[] array;
}

void MyClass::modifyArray(MyClass *array[])
{
//this modifies array elements permanently
}

My h_file.h contains this row:
void modifyArray(class MyClass *array[]);

Thanks again! I hope you are having a nice weekend!

Answer
Hi Eric,

Ok. Some things:

This is an array of pointers to MyClass.  Just pointers - the objects are not created.

MyClass *array[100];

This would work:

MyClass array[100];

But because these are local, you should not do this because of the potential of stack.  You can do this to prevent that:

static MyClass array[100];

And you want this too:

void MyClass::modifyArray(MyClass array[])
{
}

Thank you! So far the weekend is nice - I hope the same for you!

Bill

C++

Bill A