C++/variables

Question
HI
i have a question about Design issues for all data types could you plz tell me about operations that define syntax of references to variables and how are they specified?
i dont know about these operations and their functions

Thanx
Bita

Answer

The syntax for a reference variable is used only on C++ function arguments.  There is no operator - reading and writing a reference variable is like reading or writing the variable used on the function call.  It is really like a shortcut - if you pass a variable by address and modify the variable through the pointer, it is just like a reference.  For example:

void RefFunction( int &i )
{
++i;
}

void PtrFunction( int *i )
{
--*i;
}

void main( void )
{
int i = 4;

RefFunction( i );
// i is 5 now
 PtrFunction( &i );  // Pass address of i to function
// i is 4 now
}

Note how the syntax is a little easier in the reference function.  But it is no more efficient than the function passing the address and using the * operator.

Hope this helps!
Bill

C++

Bill A