C++/function arguments

Question
 Hi Vijayan,

i have designed two functions like

void verify(Hvrbuffer *message)--> this will be work when  message is null or not null
 void verify(Hvrbuffer &message)--> this will work only when message is not null

Can you please explain me in the above cases when i have to use pointer  and references as function arguments other than the above mentioned scenarios

interms of memory allocation / deallocation and any  other value added services for each one of these ?

thanks in advance,
     sireesh

Answer
In either case, memory for an object of type is not allocated Hvrbuffer is not allocated or deallocated when this function is called. Passing a pointer or a reference to an object does not create a copy of the object - they are equally efficient.

The only issue in question is: will the function always be called with a valid object? If yes, use a reference. If no, use a pointer (the pointer could be null).  

C++

vijayan