C++/sir

Question
Please explain “In a binary tree of n nodes there are n+1 null pointers representing children”

Answer
Hi, Mala.

This is just a stated observation about a property of binary trees.  I assume you are familiar with the concept of a binary tree (if not, please let me know in a followup and I'll go over binary tress, too, since this next part may not make too much sense without basic knowledge of binary trees).

Consider a single-node binary tree.  This is just a root node:

NODE
  /    \
NULL    NULL

Notice that there is one node, and two NULL child nodes.  Let's assume that we add one more element to this tree:

NODE
      /    \
   NODE    NULL
  /    \
NULL    NULL

Notice now that there are two nodes and three NULL child nodes.  For every node you add, you remove one NULL child node (because the new node takes its place) and add two new NULL child nodes (because the new node has two NULL child nodes).  So for any binary tree of n nodes, you always have n + 1 NULL child nodes.  It's just an observed property of a binary tree stated in a generic form.

I hope that clears things up for you.  If you have further questions, please let me know.  I'm here to help. :)

C++

Joseph Moore