C++/A computer mystery

Question
Hi, Vijayan

Hope you've been doing well.

Ever since I've purchased a new wireless Microsoft mouse for my labtop I've been getting this message that I have some kind of error. When my labtop is already on and I'm online suddenly my computer screen goes into this message with a blue background that says...

A problem has been detected & windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hard-drive or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as cashing or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE23605F0, 0xC0000185, 0xBF8B5F6E, 0x16B30860)

*** win32k.sys - address BF8B5F6E base at BF800000, Datestamp 4oo6d6a2

Beginning dump of physical memory
physial memory dump computer.
comtact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance
-----------
And sometimes but rarely my computer screen goes into this message with a blue background that says...

STOP: C0000218 Unknown hard error

Beginning dump of physical memory
physial memory dump computer.
-------

I've had this labtop for 5 years now and so far I've had one hard-drive failure says "Bestbuy". But after I got it back from them three and a half weeks later they changed their story and told me it was a virus. So I'm not sure if they even knew that they were doing.

I've already unistalled and re-installed the wireless mouse software and everything was ok for about 2 weeks but now the problem is coming back. I've had another small computer shop look at this and they told me the hard-drive was running down and that I should just buy a new computer because these machines are only designed to last 2 to 3 years. But I dont want to buy another one unless I really have too.

Ever since I've had my wireless mouse transmitter unplugged from my computer this error message does not come up. What should I do now after I unistalled and re-installed the software to fix this problem? Please help me with this. I would really like to learn something from this experience.

Take care
myspace.com/codedecrypter

Answer
From what I can make out (guess) from your description, it is definitely not a driver problem. There seems to be memory corruption taking place either because of some faulty memory chip (RAM) or because the paging file is getting corrupted due to hard disk errors.  

Run a memory diagnostic check on your computer and see if the memory needs to be replaced. for example by downloading and running the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool from here: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Also run diagnostics on your hard disk. For starters you could run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated (Run as adminstrator) Command Prompt. When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Yes and then reboot and let the test run. See if it generates any errors either as it runs or by examining the CHKDSK LogFile later.

In either case, even if the memory/disk is failing, you would not have to completely junk your laptop and buy a new one; it should be possible to just replace the memory or the hard disk at a small fraction of the cost.

In any case, to make sure that you will not lose your files in case of a disk failure, the first thing to do would be to back them up on to some external location - CD, DVD or another machine.

Good Luck!

Vijayan  

C++

vijayan