C++/Visual Studio Just-in-time debugger window

Question
VS error
VS error  
We are database developers. One of our clients is trying to run our application on his PC (Windows XP) and when he tries to enter his licence code, the attached error message appears. He doesn't know anything about Visual Studio, and neither do I. Nobody else has ever reported this problem. I am sure there isn't an error in our code - it happens when he simply starts to enter data - no code is running at that point.
o you know anything about this JIT debugger and what might trigger it when running a program that has nothing to do with Visual Studio?

Many thanks for any enlightenment you can offer.

Answer
The executable (i.e. the code that was running) that produced this error is clearly mentioned in the error message:

CatBase.exe

If this is part of your product's distribution then yes it was your code that was running that caused this error.

If it is not then no it was not your code that caused the problem but may be some related tool or utility such as an installer program.

The reason anything to do with Visual Studio and just in time debugging is mentioned is because the executing code (in CatBase.exe presumably) was built with just-in-time debugging enabled and then failed with a crash or exception.

The just-in-time debugging feature built into the code causes Visual Studio to automatically launch in such a situation so the problem can be investigated.

However we can presume that the customer either did not have Visual Studio (or some other tool that provides similar functionality) installed or did not have the proper access permissions to allow the just-in-time debugging feature to launch Visual Studio in such a way so an error box with the error you show was displayed instead.

Information on Visual Studio, JIT debugging and all other Microsoft related development topics can be located in the MSDN library and / or on the MSDN web site.

In fact my 2 minutes of Googling turned up this MSDN article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5hs4b7a6.aspx

If you require further specifics about your application, what executables, dlls etc it consists of, what technologies it uses (native C++ or managed .NET for example) and how it is built then I suggest you ask some of your application's developers - they should know what they are using and how they build your application.

Oh and saying 'no code is running at that point' when 'simply start to enter data' - eh? Of course there is some code running - what do you think handles the drawing of the data entry form and allows the data to be entered and checked etc.?

Hope this helps a bit.

C++

Ralph McArdell