C++/C++ Beginner

Question
I was thinking about teaching myself either C++ or Java. I just want something practical and Moderately easy to learn. Yahoo answers is proving to be no help on the matter.
Which would you suggest?
Pros and cons?
Thanks.

Answer
Well you will have noticed I am in the C++ experts area NOT the Java experts area.

This is because I am a C++ expert but NOT a Java expert, although I have gained some Java experience recently.

So please bear this in mind.

Hence as a professed C++ expert I would of course say C++ (tongue firmly in cheek).

Seriously thought, the answer depends on what you plan to use the new found knowledge for.

If you plan to do embedded programming work then C++ is probably the better option of the two.

If you plan to do application or web development then maybe consider Java.

Although neither case is clear cut.

If you plan to do low level systems or high performance computing development then C++ is almost certainly the better choice.

In general Java might be seen as the simpler language to learn.

I should also point out in this day and age that just knowing one programming language is not enough.

Oh and if you have certain specific application platforms in mind - e.g. mobile development on Android or iOS or Windows Mobile 7 then you may find that to a large extent the decision has been made for you: For Android most applications are written using Java, for iOS they use Objective C, and Windows Mobile 7 applications use .NET / C# I think. Or you use a cross-mobile platform framework such as PhoneGap ( http://www.phonegap.com/ ) which in this specific case uses Javascript, HTML and CSS. So it might be best to check what you need to use if you do have such a specific application platform in mind, just in case.

You might like to read this old answer of mine on a similar subject:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/C-1040/c-19.htm

Although note that it is now nearly 6 years old, so maybe Java and other languages such as C# have encroached more into the application areas that C++ was once used for.

C++

Ralph McArdell