C++/wmm and mpeg

Hi Vijayan

How do I know if my mpeg video file is a mpeg 1 or mpeg 2? I asked this same question on Bing and haven't found the answer. It doesn't say in my properties.

And when I try to drag my video into the timeline track with windows movie maker my video that I'm trying to add into the timeline track only wants to goes into the audio/music track. Why is it doing this and how can we solve the problem?

Have a bless day

If you cannot play the video in Windows Movie Maker, it is probably MPEG2.

"Although you can play a file in Microsoft Windows Media Player, you may not be able to import the file into Windows Movie Maker even though this article lists that kind of file. You may not be able to import the file if the codec that was used to encode the audio or video is not a codec that is included with Windows XP. In that case, you may be able to re-encode the video or audio by using Windows Media Encoder, and then import the video or audio.

Note: The MPEG2 format has several codecs that are not supported by Windows Movie Maker. Even if you have downloaded and installed these codecs on your computer, files in the MPEG2 format may not work in Windows Movie Maker or may cause other problems. Converting the MPEG2 format to another compatible format may work for most MPEG2 files. However, some MPEG2 codecs include copy protection schemes that will prevent you from converting the file.

To download the Windows Media Encoder for free, visit the following Microsoft Web site:"
    - from Microsoft Knowledge Base  

my primary areas of interest are generic and template metaprogramming, STL, algorithms, design patterns and c++11. i would not answer questions about gui and web programming.

about 15 years or so

post graduate engineer