C++/What is size of node in linklist program?

Question
Sir,I am beginner of c++.I just want to know that what is exact size of following node structure to be passed in malloc() to create new node dynamically:-
struct node
{ int data;
 node *next,*prev;
}
When i passed size 1,then program runs currectly.that means the size of above node is 1,which would have been 6.

Answer
First it looks like you are learning C not C++.

In C++ we create single objects dynamically using the operator new and destroy them using the operator delete, for dynamically creating and destroying arrays of objects we use the new[] and delete[] operators. E.g.

node * pointer_to_node = new node;

// ...

delete pointer_to_node;

Unlike the C library functions malloc, free, etc.:

- new, delete, new[], delete[] are operators - they are part of the language and not supporting library functions
   - they do not require a size as you specify the type to create object(s) of as part of a new expression.
   - they return a pointer to one (or maybe more than one for operator new[]) object of the type created
      so no need to cast from void*
   - new and new[] allocate raw memory then create the object (or the objects for new[])
      by executing a creation function called a constructor.
   - delete and delete[] first destroy the object or object by calling a destruction function
      called a destructor and then release the raw memory.

However to answer your question the size of an object of some type is given by the sizeof operator. A char is defined to have a size of 1 and sizeof returns the size of an object of some a type in units of char:

std::size_t node_size = sizeof( node );  // returns size of objects of type node

(or in C:

size_t node_size = sizeof( struct node );
)

node n;

std::size_t size_of_node = sizeof n;

(or in C:
   struct node n;

size_t size_of_node = sizeof n;    // returns size of object n, which is of type node
)

The type alias size_t is defined in the header cstddef (or stddef.h for C). In C++ it is properly in the std namespace but you can generally use it without the std qualification as well.

Finally the size of 1 you use might have just worked in your program - which may have been simple and only allocated one node object - however it would likely have trashed some memory if you had actually used (written to) more than the one char-sized slot at the memory address pointed to by the pointer returned from malloc that you asked malloc for. That is if you ask for a pint pot and try to fit a quart of stuff in it bad things are likely to happen.

Finally I would suspect the size of a node object to be between 6 and 24 8-bit char objects depending on the platform the compiler was generating code for and possibly what options were in effect for the compilation. This should cater for 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit target machine architectures and maybe a few odder ones in between.

C++

Ralph McArdell