C++/bits

Question
Dear Ralph,

How are you? Sorry that I'm back with bit/byte questions.
Computers usually deal with bytes and these are easy to write.
I, however, need to write bits into binary files that are not multiples of 4 or 8.

What is the easiest way to make a file that contains exactly these three bits (and nothing more): 0,1,0 ?

Thanks,
Andres

Answer
Note: I am assuming you _really_ mean bits and _not_ the characters '0' and '1' here, as each character takes up one byte (at least - depending on encoding).

You cannot. The smallest item you can write to a file is 1 byte of 8 bits. In fact, as disks are usually (always?) block devices, that one byte will be written as part of, and take up on the disk, a whole file system allocation block - which will be at least 1 physical disk sector in size. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_sector for more on how hard disks are organised into sectors - solid state storage is similar from the programming perspective.

Looking at the basic C file data transfer functions fread and fwrite we see they transfer data between memory and a file - the size information on how much data to transfer is used to calculate the size of the memory to transfer data to / from in terms of char (size of 1 by definition in C and C++) and _not_ in the number of bits.

Likewise, the C++ IOStreams unformatted I/O operations std::istream::read and std::ostream::write transfer to/from memory a number of chars.

Hence you cannot read/write anything less that a byte (or rather, in C/C++, a char, which is in fact 1 byte in size - a byte in C++ being at least 8-bits wide), which, as mentioned will be transferred to block devices as part of a whole block.

Of course you can write a single byte with say, only values ranging from 0..7 (lower 3 bits). Or have 2 3-bit values in a single byte (e.g. bits 0,1,2 and bits 3,4,5) and use bit operations  (shift, bitwise AND, OR  and NOT and bit fields) to insert and extract the raw 3 bit values to/from a byte sized char. Please research these topics to find out more as I am not a full time C/C++ or computer science tutor! [And my system is failing quite a lot at the moment (I am in the process of ordering a new one!) so I think it best to not spend lots of time writing lots of detail at the moment - it could take a long time if my machine keeps crashing!].

Note also the following text early in the C++11 standard (Section 1.7 The C++ memory model, start of paragraph 1):

"The fundamental storage unit in the C++ memory model is the byte. A byte is at least large enough to contain
    any member of the basic execution character set and the eight-bit code units of the Unicode UTF-8 encoding
    form and is composed of a contiguous sequence of bits, the number of which is implementation defined."

So C++ basically builds its types in terms of _bytes_ and _not_ bits. So you cannot store just 3 bits in memory in C++, which is very reasonable as the machines C++ runs on tend to address data in chunks of 8-bit bytes or larger. You can, as mentioned, store 3 bits within a larger unit - say an 8-bit byte, but the language and the machine programs written in C++ run on work in bytes (or larger!) hence I/O interfaces also tend to work in byte units - even if they are at the lowest level concerned with bits.

Sorry if this rambled on a bit but I am not sure how to explain why you cannot (easily) work in arbitrary bit-widths. If this was not what you were after then please ask another question clarifying my confusion.  

C++

Ralph McArdell