C++/Are ASCII and byte the same thing?

Question
How are you?

Are ASCII and byte the same thing? The reason I am asking this is because somebody said: H as a byte is 0x72.

Thanks,
lzzzz

Answer
Oh dear. I thought you would have got past this misunderstanding by now.

No they are not.

A byte is a unit of binary storage, usually representing a group of 8 bits.

ASCII is the American Standard Code for Information Interchange. It defines values that represent characters and control codes. It defines a 128 such symbols, so each symbol's assigned value fits in 7 bits. A single ASCII symbol value can therefore fit into an 8-bit byte sized binary storage location.

In the ASCII encoding 'A' is assigned the value 65 or 0x41, 'a' 97 or 0x61, so 'H' has the value 72 _decimal_ or 0x48 and 'h' 104 or 0x68.

The control codes, values less than 32 decimal (0x20), include carriage return (0x0d) and linefeed (0x0a).

The upper 128 values in the byte do not go unused these days. They tend to be a variable set of locale-specific symbols, see for example ASCII-ISO 8859-1 - which adds Latin language specific symbols including many accented characters. Here is a link to the decimal values for this ASCII super set (less the lower 32 control code symbols) together with their standard HTML codes: http://www.bbsinc.com/symbol.html.

Note ASCII is not the only character encoding - see EBCDIC (Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code), and the various UNICODE encodings for examples - you can look these up using a search engine. Not all such codes use a single byte to represent them nor do all encodings use a fixed number of bits (or bytes) for each character - so called multi byte character sets.

Hope this clear up your confusion.  

C++

Ralph McArdell