C++/Accessing a RS232 port via C/C++

Question
I'm trying to send information over a RS232
serial port via a C/C++ program but can't seem
to find any libraries that work. I've tried
including both dos.h and bios.h but the compiler
didn't like either. What library should I be
using and where can I find it? I'm on a SuSE
Linux machine if that helps.

Thanks so much in advance,
Joe  

Answer
So, you are trying to use MS-DOS/PC-DOS specific feature (as indicated by your use of dos.h and bios.h) with a UN*X style operating system. Now that I have mentioned this fact (which presumably you were not aware of - that certain features supplied with development systems are vendor specific or at least platform specific) does it explain why your approach fails?

The answer is to use the RS232 device names as defined for your Linux system - these will be in the /dev directory such as /dev/ttyS0 (the exact name will depend on your version of Linux and the type of the serial port).

Under UN*X style OSes such as Linux you can open, read and write to devices as you can files (in fact you can do this with MS operating systems as well). For lower level control you use the ioctrl system function and the termios functions (these are specifically for asynchronous communication devices) - you can look these up using the man utility on your Linux system:

man termios

You might also like to read the man p age on the setserial utility.

I suggest you also read the Linux serial port and programming HOWTO documents (should be available with the SuSE distribution and online) and then search the internet for further information if this does not suffice as you have given no indication as to what you whish to do with your serial port. Note all available Linux HOWTOs are listed online at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html, other Linux documentation can be accessed through the Linux Documentation Project homepage at http://www.tldp.org/.  

C++

Ralph McArdell