C++/Array Problem

Question
sry to bother u again, but i have made some progress, i already got the salaries on the array...no I need to mutlipy the array for the discount, but when i multiply it it doesnt works...i just prints the salaries withouth being multiplied:

#include <stdio.h>

#define DESC 0.125

int salario[4], cont, a;
void main ()
{

for (a=0; a<=4; a++){
        printf("Introduzca Salario [%d]: ", a);
     scanf("%d", &salario[a]);
  }

printf("\n");

{

(salario[a]*0.125);

}

for (a=0; a<=4; a++){
printf("salario [%d]: %d\n",a, salario[a]);

}
}

Answer
I notice several things about your code. First up is that you are writing C code and not C++ (well, it _is_ valid C++, but is using only C features), but you are asking a C++ expert. This leads me to question which language you wish me to concentrate on. If you are writing C then please say so in your question, otherwise, as I am answering as a C++ expert I will default to assuming C++...or just left wondering.

Secondly you seem to be relying on global variables for no really good reason that I can see. Global variables are evil. Try your utmost _not_ to use them.

Now, having restored you indentation - I hope I restored it and that posting through AllExperts mangled it, and this is not how you really indent your code - as it arrived somewhat messy I can see what is going on. By the way, I, and many, many others do _not_ like K & R indentation style - where the opening brace is on the end of the line of the statement to which it pertains - it is not that easy to read (I can never find the opening brace). However this is a matter of style, which is a personal thing.

So let's run through your main function. First you ask the user on standard output and read from standard input four salary values.

Next you clear the line by printing a new line to standard output.

Then you start a local scope section _not_ in a loop and multiply salary at index a by 0.125. You do this calculation and do not store the result anywhere.

So there are two things wrong. The first is that you perform a calculation and do not store the result:

p*q;

produces a third temporary result value that is not assigned to be stored anywhere, specifically p and q are _not_ modified, hence:

salario[a]*0.125;

does not modify salario[a]. You can either assign the value somewhere:

x = salario[a]*0.125;

or more likely:

salario[a] = salario[a]*0.125;

Or use a combined assignment and operation operator to perform the multiplication and assignment back to salario[a] in one go:

salario[a] *= 0.125;

Which is equivalent to the previous example. Note that all cases the results are 12.5% of the original salary - so maybe you did not wish to overwrite the original salary with this rather drastic reduction after all - maybe it should be stored in some other place, like the initial example, but probably another array. The other point is you define a pre-processor macro name for the 0.125 value and do not use it, so maybe you intended something like:

salario_desc[a] = salario[a]*DESC;

Your second problem is that the variable a retains the final value from the previous for loop - which is the value 4 - which is out of bounds as a loop index. Technically it is allowed as the small print for arrays dictates that you can access one past the end, however this is intended more for detecting end of run conditions, and your values of interest are at indexes 0, 1, 2 and 3.

So not only did you perform a calculation and then throw away the result, the value of salary you used was out of range nonsense anyway.

In fact it may well have been zero as salario is a global array with external linkage - however although you need to be able to access one past the end, I do not know if it is a requirement to actually initialise this element or for it to actually exist. The one past the end index of the array is therefore likely to be the memory slot used for any following variables - such as cont in this case, which is also initialised to zero. If you made your array values local automatic variables by moving their definitions inside the body of main then they would not be initialised and would therefore contain garbage to start with.

So it seems to me that either you require another loop in which to perform your calculations on the four salario values or you should be doing your calculations in the loop in which you read the values. You also need to think about _where_ you wish the results of these calculations to be stored and remember to store them someplace.  

C++

Ralph McArdell