C++/Beginner programmer needs help

Question
I am just starting out with C++ programming and trying to teach myself through internet tutorials and books. I downloaded Dev C++ as a compiler and am using the editor that it provides. I tried to write the Hello World program but something went wrong. I wrote the program correctly, compiled it, and linked it. I tried to execute it, but the program window opens for a fraction of a second and then disappears, what am I doing wrong?

Answer
Nothing.

The program runs, outputs "Hello World" or whatever to the console window then completes and exits. At this point the _only_ command (your program) being run in the console has finished so the console closes.

To get around this you can:

- run the program from a command window (DOS box). As this is set up for you to enter many commands it will hang around long enough for you to see the results.

- Place a break point (a debugging term that I shall not go into much detail here) on the return (if you have one) of main or on its closing brace. This will pause the program (break its execution) at the point specified so you can do debugging tasks such as examine variable values and single step through the code to see what is going on. In this case we are only interested in stopping the program so you can see the results - when you are done you can resume normal execution. You will have to hunt around to find out if DevC++ allows you to do these things and if so how (I am not an expert in using DevC++).

- Add code to your program to wait for input before terminating. A quick and dirty way is:

char c;
       std::cin >> c;

You will have to enter something other than whitespace (space tab, newline) followed by a newline (enter). For example q<enter> (for quit) would seem reasonable.

Another way is to use the system function to run up a command shell and execute a command - in this case the COMMAND.COM/CMS.EXE pause command (note that the pause command is MS Windows/DOS specific):

system("pause");

You should ensure you include <cstddef> - place the #include directive with the one you have for <iostream>.
(note: I am assuming here that you are using a modern fairly standard implementation of C++).

Hope this helps  

C++

Ralph McArdell