C++/C++

Question
Hi Eddie,
I have a serious problem, PLEASE HELP! I have a test on the 29th, and I cant for the life of me ind the answers to this question. If you could help me so I can study I would REALLY appreciate it.

What determines when you should define a function to return a value?

When you define a function, what determines whether you should define the
function with parameters or not?

Thanks so Much,
Happy Thanksgiving,
Eric

Answer
Hello Eric, thanks for the question.

Defining your function is dependant on a number of different things, but, most importantly, what you are trying to do with the function. Let's take a look at a couple of different ways to write an example function that simply needs to multiply a number by 10. Here is the first.

int Calc(int num)
{
return num * 10;
}

Now when we call it, we can do the following:

int num = 2;

num = Calc(num);

To get the proper answer. How else would num retain the proper value we need? Here's another way. By passing the parameter by pointer:

void Calc(int *pNum)
{
(*pNum) *= 10;
}

Now we have retrieved the same result without returning a value. Here is another way to do the same thing, by passing by reference:

void Calc(int &num)
{
num *= 10;
}

So to answer your question, it all depends on the purpose of the function. Where any of these example functions would suffice because it is a simple operation, more complicated functions would be more particular. If you wanted to draw a rectangle on your screen, your function would more than likely have to take in an x coord, y coord, width, and height so we could properly draw a rectangle of any size. The parameters should be used to give the function what it needs to complete the task. If you wanted to write a function to return a random number between 0 and another number, you would need to return the number so we can store it, and take in a number so we can determine the range of values:

int Random(int highNum)
{
return (rand() % highNum);
}

I hope that these examples have helped you out some.

- Eddie

C++

Eddie