I'm wanting to get serious about programming and I've chose to go with C++. What IDE or compiler should I start with, even though I don't want to 'all Windows' programming?

I would highly suggest using the Microsoft Visual Studio.NET for academic use. This is free on the internet I'm told. The Intellisense it comes with is awesome and hints you to possible build errors. Pretty much everything you do with it is cross platform, so its not really all Windows programming.

I hope this information was useful.

- Eddie

I can answer questions about the C++ language, object oriented design and architecture. I am knowledgable in a lot of the math that goes into programming, and am certified by ExpertRating.com. I also know a good deal about graphics via OpenGL, and GUIs.

I have completed numerous games and demos created with the C++ programming language. Currently employed as a software engineer in the modeling and simulation field. I have about 7 years experience.