C++/C++ Searching algorithm

Question
I have a file with many rows and coloumns.Suppose the first column is A,then how do i find out whether the first value of A is duplicated anywhere in the file or not?  

Answer
Your basic approach is to treat the file as an array. For the problem as stated it is relatively academic whether you retain the 2 dimensionality of the data or treat it as a single dimensional dataset. The reason for this observation is that for this problem the data is most easily treated as a vector, i.e. a single dimensional array.

Assume that the data is read into an vector of values, one value in the vector for each value in the dataset contained in the file. You then iterate through the vector (iterate through: loop through) of values from 1 to n 1 where n is the number of items in the dataset.

Remember that in C and C++ array subscripts start at 0, so the first item in the vector has a subscript of zero. Hence you check each item from  subscript 1 to n - 1 to the item of subscript zero (the first item) to see if any have the same value. If so then yes there are duplicates and the first value is not unique.

You can use the standard library algorithm find to help with the details of this operation:

T * pItem = std::find( &array[1], &array[n], array[0] );

Where T * the type of pointers to items in the array and n is the number of items. pItem is assigned the result of the find operation and is either a pointer to the first item that matches the item array[0] or the pointer to array[n]. Hence if the first item value (array[0]) is unique the pItems will be &array[n].  

C++

Ralph McArdell